[Nmh-workers] Threads

2013-04-06 18:37:03
Wouldn't threading be handled by external scripts?  This sounds like
something I would do by generating a list of message-id and references
headers, then doing a tsort and feeding the whole mess back into scan/show.

In fact, the whole concept of 'threads' is something I would like to keep
outside of the base toolset.  The reason being there is no single definition of
what a 'thread' is, and even when you can come up with a definition, it's
almost always context sensitive.  I have never found an MUA that can come even
close to expressing the sort of detail I want when dealing with threads.

I think we would be a lot better off making it simple and fast to expose the
underlying structure of the message relations in a folder (or folders) and let
the user paste together their own wrapper scripts to do the job of defining
what a 'thread' is, and how they should be manipulated.

That doesn't prevent us from adding a set of commands that perform the common
basic set of thread manipulation operations people are accustomed to.  I just
don't want to be restricted by hardwired assumptions built into the core
command set.

--lyndon