Re: [Nmh-workers] Threads

2013-04-06 19:43:27
On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 16:38:22 -0700, Lyndon Nerenberg said:
In fact, the whole concept of 'threads' is something I would like to keep
outside of the base toolset.  The reason being there is no single definition
of
what a 'thread' is, and even when you can come up with a definition, it's
almost always context sensitive.  I have never found an MUA that can come even
close to expressing the sort of detail I want when dealing with threads.

exmh apparently has at least some thread support.  However, I don't use
it because it has completely horrendous perfornamce characteristics, since
the folder I want to use it the most has thousands of messages and hundres
more each day.  As a result, it has to read all the messages of interest so
it can find all the In-Reply-To and References: headers.

You'd really want to have a cheap incremental method of adding incoming
messages to a thread database, similar to how rcvstore currently updates
the unseen sequence.