Re: [Nmh-workers] I like neither green eggs and ham nor MIME

2014-07-17 08:26:45
ken wrote:
Also, I do not think you could accurately represent the Principia without
some of the mathematical symbols available in Unicode. I mean, it's hard
do a\xB2 + b\xB2 = c\xB2,

So ... this brings up something where we didn't do a good job.

I sent out my original reply to Norm's email with the line:

     a² + b² = c²

Those superscript 2's are the Unicode character U+00B2.  Looking at the
mailing list archives, they got sent out encoded in quoted-printable, maybe
because one of my lines was a little too long.  So the actual text looked
like:

        a=C2=B2 + b=C2=B2 =3D c=C2=B2

the copy i received was charset utf-8, encoding base64.  no q-p to be seen.

paul

The character set was UTF-8.  As far as I know, that's all good.  However,
Norm's reply wasn't so great.  It was sent with a character set of UTF-8
(good), encoded in quoted-printable (also good), but the line he quoted
above contained:

     a=B2 + b=B2 =3D c=B2

Which are the superscript '2's, but in ISO-8859-1.  So we've got a situation
where the email I sent out was, AFAIK, correctly encoded, but somewhere
at Norm's end the UTF-8 characters got converted into ISO-8859-1 (which
is fine), but the character set of Norm's reply to me was set to UTF-8
(which is NOT fine).  I'd like to understand how that happened so we can
fix it in the future (I am guessing maybe this happened in your editor).
Norm, which editor are you using to compose/reply to email?  Are you
using anything like replyfilter? (You would have had to configure that).
Anything you can tell us about your setup would be useful.