[Nmh-workers] nmh with mobile devices [was: Re: replyfilter trouble with messages from "XFINITY Connect Mobile App"]

2015-03-17 12:33:40

On 17 March 2015 at 12:12, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

[n]mh is still my favorite email client in combination with
exmh, and I've tried a LOT of clients.  I started with MH-3
from Rand.  At some point I need to figure out some way to
be mobile with nmh.  Wmh demonstrates a possibility.  See
http://wmh.sourceforge.net/ The would seem to be room for an
Android client, using exmh as a functional spec.

The author of Wmh posted here a while back ... we went around on some
performance problems he was encountering (I wish we could have helped
him more; fixing those issues would require some significant changes).
Part of the issue was some huge folders took a while to read with
folder_read().

I see slow downs when running exmh over DSL and scanning a large
folder.  I'm not sure why.  It's quite a bit faster when running
exmh locally for the same large folder.

FWIW, I store my nmh folders in AFS, and that mostly works well for
mobility, but doesn't really solve the problem in the general case.

I'd forgotten about AFS.  It looks like there's quite a bit of
interest in getting that to work on mobile devices.  But, I didn't
see anything actually available for use.

I suspect the only true long-term solution is IMAP, but that is a LOT
of work (but if Heirloom mailx and mailutils can do it, I don't see
any fundamental reason we cannot).

Ah yes, IMAP raises its head again.  I wouldn't trust me to code
anything in nmh.  But, I can test things and report results,
should this ever get off the ground.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin