Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-24 13:10:42
In a message of Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:41:18 -0400, Ken Hornstein writes:
My nmh displays base-64 encoded mail just fine, but if you try to reply
or forward with the message quoted, it doesn't convert.  I get a base-64
encoded mail about once every 5 years, so it hasn't been worth complaining
about, and for all I know you have already fixed this.  But I thought it
was worth mentioning.

Wow, ONLY once every 5 years??  I get those like a few times a day!  Well,
that also includes email with quoted-printable and having a few weird
characters.

I think this may be an advantage of living in a part of the world
where ASCII is too small.  Once I got unicode up and working as text,
that is pretty much all I have to worry about.  iso-8859 is finally
dying around here, though I still have this mouthful in my .mh_profile
to handle it.

mhshow-show-text/plain: \
iconv -f "$(charset=$(echo %a | sed -n -r 's/.*charset="
?([-a-zA-Z0-9_]*).*/\1/p');
if [ x$charset = xunicode-1-1-utf-7 ]; then echo utf-7;
else echo ${charset:-iso-8859-1}; fi)" | less

I forgot about quoted printable -- I do get those, but very, very, very
rarely.  I never figured out what quoted printable is for.

David already pointed you toward replfilter; that's been around for a
while (since 1.5) and I thought it was well known, but still people
don't know about it.  Like most of the MIME support in nmh, it's kind of
bolted on, but it does make MIME replies reasonable.

The problem is that you typically get your new nmh one day when you, or
maybe the sysadmins at work, do a system-wide update.  Since you never
asked for it to get changed, you never noticed that you have a new
version (unless things stop working for some reason). I am not sure what
the best way to handle this is, but these days I am very greatful
when programs come with a --help option, which refers you, amoung other
things, to where the documentation lives.

You have two options: you can use dist(1), which some people find confusing
when they receive a message used by it (the whole message ends up intact,
and the sender appears in the "Resent-From" header), or forw -mime, which
generates a mhbuild directive so you have to make sure you "mime" the
message at the What now? prompt.  That makes the forwarded message into
a message/rfc822 MIME part, and all of the MIME structure of the enclosed
message is preserved.

But can I make interleaved comments just as I did on this piece of mail
in some mail that I am forwarding to others?

In a future release I am hoping that by default repl(1) will be much smarter
than it is now.  That's a much harder job that it appears.

--Ken

Laura