Re: [Nmh-workers] Starting the final call for features for 1.7

2016-09-25 05:02:33
In a message of Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:52:41 -0400, Ken Hornstein writes:
I think this may be an advantage of living in a part of the world
where ASCII is too small.  Once I got unicode up and working as text,
that is pretty much all I have to worry about.  iso-8859 is finally
dying around here, though I still have this mouthful in my .mh_profile
to handle it.

I am still kind of surprised that you don't see more; it seems to me
that a lot of programs want to base64 anything if they see anything with
the high bit set.  The mailing list software used here is one example;
it will automatically reencode the message as base64 if it sees any
8-bit characters.

Hmmm.  You are right about that.  And of course I see mailman mailing
lists with the default charset as unicode all day long.  So I have
likely misunderstood my problem.  Next time I get one I will make sure
to save it for forensic analysis.

Laura