Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 2047 vs RFC 2231 encoding for MIME parameters

2016-10-02 15:31:14
Google has no excuse for generating such data, but as you note in your OP,
other MUAs have been doing it for a long time and from vendors that are
notorious for not following specs properly.  I do not know how many MUAs
support RFC 2231.

AFAICT, with the exception of older versions of Outlook (like before 2007)
and Lotus notes, pretty much "everybody" can decode RFC 2231 correctly.
And I believe that "most" modern MUAs (including nmh! :-) ) will generate
it.  Some people will generate both:

http://www.igaware.com/blog/attachments-converted-to-dat-files-when-sending-from-zarafa-solved/

Personally that seems mega-bozo to me, as I'm not sure what's supposed to
happen if you include two parameters of the same name (even if one
is encoded, and one isn't).

I do not recommend blanket 2047 decoding for parameter data.  Just limit it
to parameters associated with a filename.

I find this argument convicing; thoughts from others?