Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 2047 vs RFC 2231 encoding for MIME parameters

2016-10-03 09:53:32
Acting like other MUA's on this doesn't match nmh's behaviour on other
transgressions and I'd prefer the wrong encoding not to be swept under
the carpet.  nmh users are often savvy enough that they can chase back
to the creator, e.g. FLOSS PHP library, but only once they become aware
of the problem.

Sigh.  Since I did that, I am sympathetic to that argument, but the specific
case you're talking about (marking an enclosing multipart with q-p) is
not exactly the same here.

For comparison, yes, they're both explicit RFC violations.  But the
former introduced a real ambiguity; should the enclosing parts be
encoded with q-p?  The latter ... well, not so much.  And while some
MUAs have been slowly fixing things (see: Outlook), others are clearly
fringe players (Lotus Notes), Gmail is kind of a dominant player.  And
it's clear from the stuff I've read online that people with much more
clout than I have tried, and the people in charge of Gmail simply Don't
Give a Shit.

Again, it sticks in my craw that we have to do this, but all indications
are that this is unfortunately rather common.