Re: X/browser-based mime-types

2021-05-12 19:01:29

David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> wrote:
    >> But, I also login to my desktop from my laptop via ssh (and
    >> X-forwarding-challenged mosh, sigh).  Has anyone come up with version
    >> of "open this URL" (or open this file) that will talk through the
    >> forwarded X connection, and get *that* browser to open the link,
    >> rather than use some browser shortcut that opens it on the wrong
    >> desktop

    > That should just work if you forward X through ssh but I must be
    > missing what you're trying to do.

So, the emacs problem is that the emacs will send the link through the
primary X connection, rather than the new frame which is on the forwarded
connection.   There are ways to fix this, but all of them are unstable and
hard to setup automatically.  (I got it working once...)

But, google-chrome seems to use some non-X IPC to open the URL, and so it
finds the process on the same CPU, rather than using the SSH forwarded X.