Re: mhbuild: extraneous information in message

2021-05-12 16:29:45
Ralph Corderoy wrote in
 <20210512202431.3D7032209E@orac.inputplus.co.uk>:
 |Hi Valdis,
 |
 |> Which raises the question - what is getting into the path so when
 |> Laura adds entries to /etc/mailcap, things start working for her?
 |
 |Ken suggested some distros might alter nmh's release when packaging to
 |use mailcap(5).  Looking at
 |https://sources.debian.org/patches/nmh/1.7.1-4/, which I think Laura is
 |uses, nothing stands out as adding that for Debian.

nmh could adapt or build upon the src/mx/mailcap.c of my MUA.  It
is pretty much standing on its own feet, has matured (there were
a few hmm nits), and offers really nice extensions like
x-mailx-test-once, x-mailx-ignore etc.

Despite its deficiencies (as stated on BOF, and that
"nametemplate" format can only be at front as in %s.pdf not
pdf.%s), it parses pretty well and complains on bugs like so, too
(in the RFC 1524 example for example which in turn comes from
decade old predecessor i have forgotten what that was all about).

Of course it sits on our (still deficient) internal infrastructure
for child processes ("test" field), temporary files, LOFI
alloca(3) replacement etc.  Anyhow, if so, should be taken from
[next] branch because there were some cosmetic changes which make
it look nicer. :)  You know.  For example it treats un/even
reverse solidus at EOLs nice, which is still not true as of today
for shells, for example:

  #?0|kent:steffen$ echo du \\\\\
  > hey
  du \\hey
  #?0|kent:steffen$ dash
  #kent:$ echo du \\\\\
  > das
  du \das
  #kent:$

(That should maybe be reported.  I think i am subscribed, will do.)

--steffen