perl-i18n

Re: Localized PODs

2003-01-29 11:28:10
Hi folks.  What do you think about a localized 'perldoc', e.g.:

       env LC_MESSAGES=zh_TW.Big5 perldoc DBI

looks for DBI.zh_TW.pod and display its result, re-encoded in Big5
encoding from the default utf8?

This way we can distribute documents in several language alongside
each module; the recoding part I've already sent as a patch to Sean
Burke's Pod::Perldoc.

Thoughts,
/Autrijus/

If we disregard the Big5-or-other encoding issue, you can
already attempt to display the documentation in another
language:
   perldoc DBI.fr
   perldoc DBI.de
will look for POD files DBI.fr.pod and DBI.de.pod and if
successful, will print the French or German translation
of the documentation.

But if you consider the encoding, you're right, perldoc
could be improved to take care of it.

Jean Forget

--
WYGIWYGAINGW =  "What You Get Is What You're Given And It's
No Good Whining."

     Archichancelier Mustrum Ridcully
     (cité par Terry Prachett dans The Science of Discworld)