perl-unicode

Re: Encode: CJK-Guide

2002-03-26 17:28:58
  BTW, I don't find any reference to Microsoft code pages
(CP949 for Korean, CP950, CP 936 , and CP932), JOHAB(Korean), and
Big5-HKSCS Is that because they're not yet supported (well, Shift-JIS
and Big5 are supported)?

AFAIK, they're not yet supported, since we have not had Korean
expertise.

 Another BTW, don't you think your description of Unicode
and Han Unification is a bit too negative and biased?
I know you feel strongly about the subject, but I'm not
sure CJK-Guide is the best place to express your personal
opinion on it in. If you don't like to tone down or change
it, you may add a disclaimer like 'some people have
reservation about Han Unification and Unicode because ......'
or 'the following is my personal opinion shared by

Strongly seconded.  Documentation should be unbiased.  People will
look for information, not opinions.

  Why does coded character set have to care about what computational
linguists have to do? You can't tell the meaning of
any English word with multiple meanings by just looking at
its computer representation without context/grammatical/linguistic/lexical
analysis, can you? How do you know what 'fly' means without context?

My favourite is 'set': the largest English dictionaries go on for
pages on the various uses.

  Jungshik Shin

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/