perl-unicode

Re: Encode: CJK-Guide

2002-03-26 17:42:42
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

  BTW, I don't find any reference to Microsoft code pages
(CP949 for Korean, CP950, CP 936 , and CP932), JOHAB(Korean), and
Big5-HKSCS Is that because they're not yet supported (well, Shift-JIS
and Big5 are supported)?

AFAIK, they're not yet supported, since we have not had Korean
expertise.

  Well, CJKV information processing by Ken Lunde provides
more than enough information to support JOHAB and CP949/UHC/X-Windows-949 :-).
In addition to that, there are existing implementations, glibc,libiconv,
Mozilla and so forth. I'm not blaming any one here for the lack of
support for Johab and CP949. (that's the last thing I'd do). Anyway,
I'll try to help you with Korean encodings and other CJK encodings if
necessary.

  For Johab, no new table is necessary because Hangul precomposed
syllable mapping (to Unicode) is algorithmic while Hanjas and symbols can
be mapped to KS X 1001 algorithmically and then mapped to Unicode
using KS X 1001 mapping table.

  BTW, how about Big5-HKSCS(Hongkong), GBK, and GB18030(PRC)?

  Jungshik Shin