perl-unicode

Re: Encode-1.50 +

2002-04-20 13:57:44
On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 04:50 , Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
I just checked in these changes to ext/Encode/... as change 16022
on perlio branch.

To honor whitespaces, I usually rsync perl-core first then copy filesback to my repository for NI-XS (this works only for patches from those w/ commit right to perl repository, however). But seems like AS is not new enough so...

 - switch to XSLoader
 - spelling & trailing whitespace removal.
 - remove a "use loop" (Encode loaded PerlIO::encoding, loaded Encode)
   it never loops, but such things cause problems for imports.
 - Changed how LEAVE_SRC was tested
     x & ~y is not same as !(x & y)
 - Moved Unicode.xs towards supporting same check values.
 - Set @Encode::XS::ISA  to Encode::Encoding
 - added ->needs_lines method with my best guess at which ones do.

I did this;

* Copy the patch chunk
* perl -i.bak 's/\s+\n/\n/o' patch.file to make sure no trailing space after LF
* patch -l so patch ignores the number of whitespaces ahead

And the resulting patch work pretty good. Among 18 hunks one failed at Encode.pm and that was trivial to mend manually. and "make distclean -> breadperl Makefile.PL -> make test"
works beautifully.

I still cannot get TODO tests in t/perlio.t despite some work
on PerlIO::encoding to honour ->needs_lines. I need to study it some more.
What I really want to do is get have PerlIO::encoding use fallback
schemes. Which ENCODE_FB_XXX flag bit(s) give me fallback characters but still
remove translated stuff from the src buffer?

Perhaps "update src" should be an active rather than a passive bit?

Please wait till caffain runs on my bloodstream. I just woke up (because of insomnia or whatever I was not quite nocturnal last night; It is 5 minutes before 06:00 AM JST).

Dan the Encode Maintainer