perl-unicode

Re: Tk804 + Encode-1.50 :-) again

2002-04-19 12:28:07
On Saturday, April 20, 2002, at 03:45 , Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
I am daydreaming that I am a caravan member, driving a herd of
disobedient camels on the never-ending desert to an oasis called 5.8.0
when I released new Encode and PerlIO::encoding.  You can get one as
follows.

p4 integrated to //depot/perlio for testing.

Without any changes to Tk804 things improved a bit - only the JP.t and KR.t
tests were failing, and those not failing as badly.

I though I relocated perlio-related test in them to t/perlio.t. Is there any left?

Adding ENCODE_FB_QUIET to Tk's encode glue makes those pass as well.

That was my biggest concern.  So glad to hear that.

Suggest one small tweak as in attached patch.

The patch turns off utf8_to_uvuni's warning and checks as only
thing we are using the UV for is an error message (which in my case
isn't going to be printed as I am in FB_QUIET). Otherwise I get noise
when Tk is groping about in U+FFXX "page".

Applied, thanks.

The "indent" looks better - but has "cuddled else" - no big deal.

I was a little surprised that Encode/encode.h gets installed in lib
rather than archlib/CORE but can live with that (makes a kind of sense
it is architecture neutral - but perl.h et. al. go elsewhere).
The snag here is that Makefile.PL has added -I to find perl.h, so I
have to
#include <../../Encode/encode.h>
which is portability issue as there is no certainty that lib / archlib
relative paths work like that. Will tweak Tk's Makefile.PL "configure"
to hunt down encode.h.

I wonder if there is more sensible way to install NON-PM files to PERL5LIB. For the time being it is at the mercy of MM. Though not a show stopper I would like Encode to be as clean and standard-compliant as possible. MM is so vast I don't even know how many more features are hidden...

Will do a spelling patch on the pod(s) when I get a chance.

Yes, please. Emacs doesn't do spellcheck-as-you-type like recent mailers in MacOS and Windows :) (I know you can spellcheck in Emacs but I am not sure if it is a good idea to to do so in .pm).

Dan the Encode Maintainer