Re: Quick Start with PROCMAIL

1996-12-30 07:13:52
Jim Dennis

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Tom Held wrote:

tomheld> I'd like to make this filtering (just for this one type of
tomheld> message) and autoresponse happen on the server, so the messages
tomheld> don't even get to my system.

In addition to what has been previously suggested, modern sendmails can
refuse SMTP connections on a sender or sender/recipient basis, so you
may want to ask your ISP if they can do this for you.  Then the
offending mail would never even reach your ISP.

        Rick,

        Despite the fact that this is a sendmail question
        I'd be delighted if you would share the details of this
        method with us (or me at least) or point me to which
        'm' I should 'f'ing (flippin') 'r' (so to speak).

        I'd also like to know if there's any way I can
        put an entry in a sendmail aliases file that has
        a "wildcard" or "regex" pattern in it -- something
        like:

                info.*: info

        So that sendmail would dispatch all the mail to
        'info.foo' and 'info.bar' to 'info' (where my
        procmail recipes would sort them out).

        I've heard vague references to something that the
        referrer vaguely called "star addressing" but
        no examples or pointers.

        Jim Dennis,
        Starshine Technical Services