Re: use autoresponders with caution, not with abandon

1997-04-05 20:32:00
On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Caution, list members: if you want to know how to use an autoresponder, take
advice from someone who has one set up well.  Mr. "Wotan"'s is not, as you've
seen if you've ever written to him.  One of his claims above is not true and
another is a guess based on information he does not have.

Eh?

Mine does work.  I am just rather fussy about who I want to get mail from.
And I'll admit that I filter out people I probably do want to hear from
due to laziness when building my accept list.

And I used to accept anything that was cc'd to me and the list.  But a
while back some people mistook the list for a usenet flame group; and
turned me off on just randomly accepting such mail.  Which was one of the
main reasons I first started filtering mail.  I didn't want such garbage.

So, i neither send or accept cc's of messages to this list.  And I let my
bouncer deal with any sent.

(I'd take the particulars up with him privately if there were a chance that
 he'd listen.)

Heck, I might listen.  I'll even give you a chnce to make your point.

Autoresponders should be triggered by limited criteria, not by default for
all mail except that which meets limited criteria.

I used to think that until I went a few days without answering e-mail for
some reason, and started getting nasty messages.

Now, I just leave the vacation filter on unless I plan to be online fiarly
often in the near future.  And bozo out those who get nasty about no
immediate responce from me.

--
In a medium in which a News Piece takes a minute and an "In-Depth"
Piece takes two minutes, the Simple will drive out the Complex.