Re: use autoresponders with caution, not with abandon

1997-04-06 01:16:00
On April 5, 1997, bodysurf(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com (Tim) said:
Things such a loop checking and automatically deleting emails bounced back
because the domain/user was invalid are, of course, part of the

Ah, but is there any way to check that the domain name is valid? You'd
basically have to do both an IP check and an MX check -- has anyone done
this already? Otherwise, Im thinking I could just look at the sendmail
source to see how they do it ...

Even a MX check wouldn't work if they have the EXPN/VRFY functions turned
off, right?  What I do is the following:

1.  Stick a "X-Loop:" type header in with `formail` when I send back the
    rejected email.
2.  Email that is bounced *back* to my account because of, say, an invalid
    domain name is egrepped to see if my "X-Loop:" type header is in
    there.  If so, it is sent to "/dev/null".

Lates!
Tim <bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mailto:bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
Finger bodysurf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com for my PGP public key (Bits 1024/KeyID
09DA5C49).
PGP Key FPrint (09/03/94): 4C 97 F1 FA 70 55 68 91  49 D1 AD F2 DD 63 0C 15
---------------------> Please PGP encrypt your email <---------------------