Re: Clubmail spam

1997-05-25 07:47:00
On Sat, 24 May 1997 15:53:07 -0500,
debraw(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (Debra Walker) wrote:
On Sat, 24 May 1997 13:14:34 -0700 (MST),
in article
<Pine(_dot_)SUN(_dot_)3(_dot_)95(_dot_)970524131227(_dot_)22105A-100000(_at_)netcom20>,

Wotan <wotan(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> wrote:
Its why i asked if we can limit postings to subscribers.  Makes it a
little harder for some to write the list, but it will make it easier to
prevent spammers from sendng.  Or joining.
I agree with you.  Until the spam started showing up here recently, I
was under the impression that one had to be a subscriber to post.  If
this is not the case, I strongly suggest that the listmaster consider
implementing such a practice.

The problem is that the Procmail documentation specifically directs
people to the broadcast address. This would stop working if you made
the list closed, and would raise the threshold for seeking help on the
list.
  What I do is I keep a "nobozo" list for people I know to be
subscribers, and treat the rest of the stuff to my spam filter just
like all the other mail.
  (It didn't catch the Extractor Pro spam but that was the first one
to pass through in a couple of months. I do almost no checking on the
full body of messages for performance reasons, but perhaps this is
misdirected. If I did that, the Extractor Pro banner would be easy
enough to catch.)

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>