Re: Official "Junk" status

1997-08-06 21:15:00
netadmin(_at_)knotwork(_dot_)com wrote,

| Does junkmail normally have the official "I am junk" priority set, or does
| the crappy sfotware the spammers tend to use lie about the priority level
| of its spam?

Normally spammers will do anything they can to slip past filters.  The polite
and semi-official thing to do is to include a non-empty X-Advertisement:
header, but there is no set standard.

| SO I do not know if I just need
| a sendmail header-rewrite rule or to somehow insinuate procmail into the
| outgoing mail process.  ...

| But I heard someone on this list talking as if they had
| procmail invoved in outgoing mail somehow so thought I'd at least ask.

Some MUA's and MTA's do provide a way to detour through another program.  The
-m option makes procmail ideal for use as an outgoing mail filter because it
can pass along additional positional parameters.  So if the other programs
handling outgoing mail have a place to put it in, procmail can do the job.
The last recipe in the an for outgoing mail will usually be

     :0
     ! "$@"

so that after procmail is through with outgoing mail (filtering it as needed
or saving extra copies or whatever) it hands the message and the positional
parameters over to the MTA.