Re: Official "Junk" status

1997-08-06 23:34:00

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Normally spammers will do anything they can to slip past filters.  The polite
and semi-official thing to do is to include a non-empty X-Advertisement:
header, but there is no set standard.

Hmmm yet I thought both smail and sendmail have priorities, in fact I know
UUCP does also, such that some level of priority is lie priority post or
personal email and and there is a priority known as junk or bulk. Although
the UUCP system allows at least all the lowercase and uppercase alphabet
as priorities, I thought that in the MTA somewhere is set what level among
those to use for bulk? I got the impression fro mthat that mail is
expected to have a precedence when it arrives, in order that e.g. UUCP
knows whether or not it is bulk or list or normal in order to decie which
priority to assign it. Maybe I am completely out of touch. I'll have to
try to find time one day to go have another look at UUCP; and perhaps UUCP
is too far out of date? Though I thought I saw too something in
sendmail.cf ah yes whats this then

###########################
#   Message precedences   #
###########################

Pfirst-class=0
Pspecial-delivery=100
Plist=-30
Pbulk=-60
Pjunk=-100

To what does the aboe chunk of sendmail.cf refer if not to some means of
separating list, bulk, and junk mail from regular mail?

Blessed Be. -MarkM-

--
We do remote Linux install, config, support and administration. Inquire.
"The saddest thing is they WANT to be ignorant, INSIST on it in fact."