Re: Official "Junk" status

1997-08-06 23:09:00

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, David W. Tamkin wrote:
It should be noted that "Precedence: (bulk|list|junk)" is part of the
expansion of procmail's ^FROM_DAEMON token [but not ^FROM_MAILER], so any
procmailrc recipe diverting mail matching ^FROM_DAEMON to a folder for mail
sent by programs will put mail with junk precedence there.  Likewise a
* !^FROM_DAEMON condition on recipes for autoresponders will make it ignore
mail with junk precedence.

Ouch, that doesnt sound good. It seems odd to me to regard error messages
from mail daemons, which may (from my perspective as a sysadmin anyway) be
fairly critical, as junk. I would have tought that if the mailer-daemon
was reporting about special-delivery mail it would make sense for its
report to be special-delivery, if its report were regarding junk then the
report to likewise be considered junk. To regard messages about the fate
of special-delivery mail as junk seems to undermine the importance of
special delivery. Like I dont care what happens to mail once I send it no
matter how special it is. Hmmmmmmm. Weird. I would have though it would
make a whole lot more sense to diferentiate status messages and reports
from original items but to keep the precedence, so that high precesence
items would result in high-precedence status reports. Oh well.

I may hve to give up on using 'junk' to indicate junkmail, it sounds like
'junk' actually means 'of great importance to those concerned with the
actual functioning of the system and anyone who needs to know when mail
they send is failing to get where its going, but of no importance to those
whose sendings are so worthless that they dont care whether they arrive or
not'.

Blessed Be. -MarkM-

--
We do remote Linux install, config, support and administration. Inquire.
"The saddest thing is they WANT to be ignorant, INSIST on it in fact."