Counting headers?

1998-03-10 09:03:39
Okay, I've looked over this idea for a while, but I'm just not good enough
to implement it.  :)

I'm sure you're all aware of the new spamware product called Rapid Fire
Mail Server (RFMS).  What it does is connect _directly_ to the MX host of
the target ISP.

Since no real mail clients do this (that I'm aware of), I proprose to
build a filter for RFMS by checking the Received: headers of the message
in question.  On an incoming RFMS mail, if it hits the primary MX (and
that MX is the final location), there will be only one Received header,
the one added by the mail server on said primary MX.  If it hits a
secondary MX, it'll then transfer to the primary MX and have two.

What I'd like to do is come up with a recipe that'll detect these.  I.e.
count the number of received headers and if there's only one, dump it.  If
there's more than one, check to see which ones are just passing through my
local mail servers, and if none remain after eliminating those, dump it.

Any takers?

--
Andrew O. Smith - <aos(_at_)insync(_dot_)net> | "Please allow me to present
Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services |  you with a clue."