Re: Counting headers?

1998-03-12 21:48:28
On many systems, if you login as a Unix shell user and send email to
another user on your system, there may be only one Received: header line.
So you have to be careful about this.

Felix Tilley

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:49:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Andrew <aos(_at_)insync(_dot_)net>
To: procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de
Subject: Counting headers?

I'm sure you're all aware of the new spamware product called Rapid Fire
Mail Server (RFMS).  What it does is connect _directly_ to the MX host of
the target ISP.

Since no real mail clients do this (that I'm aware of), I proprose to
build a filter for RFMS by checking the Received: headers of the message
in question.  On an incoming RFMS mail, if it hits the primary MX (and
that MX is the final location), there will be only one Received header,
the one added by the mail server on said primary MX.  If it hits a
secondary MX, it'll then transfer to the primary MX and have two.

----

Felix Tilley
ftilley(_at_)goodnet(_dot_)com
Tucson, Arizona