Re: Lockfile on $DEFAULT?

1998-06-12 16:35:26
On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Paul Bartlett asked,

|     If I am reading the man pages correctly, I do not need to specify a
| lockfile if delivering to $DEFAULT.  In other words, this will work:
| [etc.]

Then you're reading them wrong, Paul.  $DEFAULT, if it's a plain folder (or
if it would be a plain folder if procmail has to create it), needs a local
lock.  [etc.]

    Thanks for the response.  What got me to wondering is that when I
set up a short test recipe with something like

:0:
* $ ^TO$pobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com  <-- pointing to myself for a test
{
LOG=`_various_stuff_`
$DEFAULT
}

the log complained about an extraneous lockfile being ignored.

|     (I will get any replies from the list.)

If by that you mean you don't want people to answer by sending the reply to
you and carboning the list but only by writing to the list alone, then you
should set Reply-To: on your post so that it points to the list.  If you want
something that requires extra effort, you should be the one to put it forth.

    I keep forgetting that the procmail list is different from *EVERY*
other list I subscribe to.  On *ALL* other lists I subscribe to, the
default behavior, at least with my mailer (Pine) and the headers that
the list servers stick in, is that automatic replies go back to the
list, and sending them to the originator is the step that takes extra
work.  That's what I was thinking of when I was trying to make less
work for other people (as well as ensuring that I did not get duplicate
copies unnecessarily).  Maybe I just subscribe to an anomolous set of
lists.

--
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA