Re: Lockfile on $DEFAULT?

1998-06-13 10:58:42
Paul Bartlett followed up,

|     Thanks for the response.

You're welcome.

| What got me to wondering is that when I set up a short test recipe with
| something like
|
| :0:
| * $ ^TO$pobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com  <-- pointing to myself for a test
| {
| LOG=`_various_stuff_`
| $DEFAULT
| }
|
| the log complained about an extraneous lockfile being ignored.

That's unrelated: you asked for a local lockfile on a recipe that opens a
brace block but doesn't launch a clone; in such a situation, a local lockfile
would be extraneous (what's to lock?), so procmail tells you so.  It had no
relation to the mention of $DEFAULT farther along.  The recipes INSIDE the
braces might need local lockfiles or a regional lockfile, but you have to
specify that inside the braces if they do.

Also, you had $DEFAULT just hanging there without being part of a recipe nor
part of an assignment; and unless $pobart is a variable containing a number
of permissible variations on your local address (and a pair of outer paren-
theses, but those can be supplied in the recipe if they aren't in the vari-
able assignment), you probably didn't mean to include the dollar sign there.

Likely you should have had something like this:

 :0 # the condition, maybe, should be  * ^TOpobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com  ?
 * $ ^TO($pobart)@geocities\.com
 {
  LOG="`_various_stuff_`
"

  :0:
  $DEFAULT
 }

[I've sent Paul a private response regarding the rest of his post, and I
 trust that both my allies and my opponents on the issue it discusses will
 refrain from resurrecting that particular r-war here.]

DWT