Re: Lockfile on $DEFAULT?

1998-06-13 17:36:56
On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

| What got me to wondering is that when I set up a short test recipe with
| something like
|
| :0:
| * $ ^TO$pobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com  <-- pointing to myself for a test
| {
| LOG=`_various_stuff_`
| $DEFAULT
| }
|
| the log complained about an extraneous lockfile being ignored.

    Caught again by my own proofreading failures.  The condition line
should have been simply

* ^TOpobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com

I was going from memory, and I first put in a variable name.  Then when
I remembered that the recipe did not use a variable, I put in the
actual address for the variable name and messed up by failing to remove
the dollar signs when I posted.  Sigh. :-(

                                                    The recipes INSIDE the
braces might need local lockfiles or a regional lockfile, but you have to
specify that inside the braces if they do.

Also, you had $DEFAULT just hanging there without being part of a recipe nor
part of an assignment;

    I have never been very adept at using brace blocks.  In fact I
admit that even after a couple of years, I still find any of the
"advanced" features of procmail -- whatever those are -- to be
confusing.  I have just never mastered unix-think, I guess.  However,
for good or for ill, a _lot_ of inexperienced users who don't even know
that they don't know something are being steered straight to procmail.
(Happens frequently on comp.mail.pine.)  It (procmail) may have
originally been intended for unix-experienced users, but a lot of
greenhorns who haven't been taught unix-think are struggling with it.

Likely you should have had something like this:

 :0 # the condition, maybe, should be  * ^TOpobart(_at_)geocities\(_dot_)com
?
 * $ ^TO($pobart)@geocities\.com
 {
  LOG="`_various_stuff_`
"

  :0:
  $DEFAULT
 }

    Without the confusion of the variable business, this appears to be
what I needed all along.  I have learned something here.  Thank you.

[I've sent Paul a private response regarding the rest of his post, and I
 trust that both my allies and my opponents on the issue it discusses will
 refrain from resurrecting that particular r-war here.]

    Yes, I think its need not be driven into the ground unproductively.

--
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA