Re: 3.11pre7 "Breaking" 3.10 Recipes

1998-07-15 02:16:28
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:36:43 -0400 (EDT), Paul O Bartlett
<pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> wrote:
    Then my ISP upgraded the procmail on the mail servers to 3.11pre7,
and those recipes "broke."  Apparently they somehow brought the mail
servers to their knees, although I do not have specifics.  The help

Do you know what hardware the servers are running? How Procmail was
compiled? Can you get this information?

If you're scared of running Procmail at all, you can at least try to
invoke stuff directly from your .forward to give you some diagnostics.

You might, for example, set up a .forward something like this
(slightly indented for readability; outdent before using):

    # Stash a copy of each incoming mail before doing anything else
    \pobart
    "|uname -a </dev/null >$HOME/uname.out"
    "|procmail -v </dev/null >$HOME/procmail-v.out"
    "|strings </usr/local/bin/procmail >$HOME/procmail-s.out"

This is untested and probably contains a couple of typos. You should
probably not have this in use longer than necessary, i.e. you would
just momentarily switch out your normal .forward and replace it with
this one, send yourself a test message from your friendly Hotmail
account, and put back your normal .forward as soon as the test message
arrives.

systems staff provide few or no details, even to the help desk.  Has
anyone heard of such a things as installation "switches" in 3.11pre7
which could cause 3.10-correct procmail recipes to cause sendmail
sessions go wild?  (On another of my ISPs subdomains everything seems
to be OK, but I don't know what version of procmail it is running.)

You could use a bare-bones .forward (or .procmailrc) to forward all
mail to this particular host if you're not already running there.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>