Re: 3.11pre7 "Breaking" 3.10 Recipes

1998-07-17 16:36:57
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, David W. Tamkin wrote:

[concerning some recipes causing havoc after upgrades
[to procmail 3.11pre7 and sendmail 8.8.x:]

Liviu Daia responded,

|     Personally, I used procmail 3.11pre7 and 3.10 with all versions of
| sendmail from 8.7.4 to 8.9.1, without any problem whatsoever (not of the
| kind you describe anyway).  [...]

I am inclined to agree with Dr. Daia.  Most likely Digex personnel messed
up some crossmounts or fooled around with /etc/procmailrc and are scram-
bling for spin control.

Digex is located in the world capital of being Up There in a clue-free zone,
so the double talk is no surprise.  If there really are incompatibilities
between those sendmail versions and certain procmail features, I'd like to
know the details and see examples.

    If I ever get any specifics, I will try to pass the word on.  (I
already posted the two recipes I am not able to run.)  What has really
made me suspicious is that I think the help desk has tried to make a
good-faith effort to help me but even the help desk manager seems to
have gotten the runaround from systems types.  I used to be a systems
programmer for EDS, if that rings any bells, and heads would have
rolled over what has been happening with Digex.  Only once did I ever
have to deal directly with an end user (at 5:00 a.m. on a Monday from
home), but I/we jolly well had to play straight with help desks, and
if they could show that a product was not working as advertised for a
user, then we had damn well better fix it, no matter how much midnight
oil we had to burn.

--
Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA