Re: Reviving procmail and SmartList

1998-10-10 11:31:09
On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Stan Ryckman wrote:

I've seen plenty of discussion of "where procmail ought to go" on the
procmail list itself, and for a few people rarely seen here to run off
into their own corner and try and change procmail for their own purposes
seems a bad idea to me.  (Less sure about smartlist--I've heard that list
is very quiet, but I don't subscribe.)

The intent is certainly not to "run off ... and change procmail for their
own purposes."  It's merely to focus the discussion.  It's possible but
difficult to search the list archives for tidbits, and I'd rather hear
what people are interested in *now*.  I won't pretend that I don't have a
use in mind for procmail -- if I didn't, I wouldn't be getting into this
discussion in the first place -- but I have no intention of hijacking it.

I read through a hundred recent messages or so from each of the procmail
and SmartList lists before asking about "Ongoing development" on the
SmartList list.  The procmail messages were almost entirely Q&A about
procmailrc recipes, and (until after I asked) the SmartList messages were
mostly about setup.

Here's a statistic: approximately 3% of the procmail messages archived in
September mention the word "patch".  Fewer actually include one or point
to one.  I was hoping for a bit better hit rate.

However, perhaps I was premature in setting up a new list.  Straw poll?

Send a message to me at:

        schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com

indicating which of the following most accurately reflects your opinion:

(1) The procmail-future list should shuts down; discussion occurs on the
    procmail and SmartList lists only.

mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=shut%20down%20procmail-future

(2) The procmail-future list should forward to the procmail list.

mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=forward%20to%20procmail

(3) The procmail-future list should forward to the SmartList list.

mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=forward%20to%20SmartList

(4) Both (2) and (3).

    mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=forward%20to%20both

(5) It's OK to continue procmail-future as a separate discussion.

mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=keep%20procmail-future%20separate

(6) This whole thing is a waste of time, procmail isn't going anywhere.

    mailto:schaefer+procmail(_at_)zanshin(_dot_)com?subject=procmail%20is%20dead

(You don't need to use the URLs, I just added them in case some folks have
UAs that can interpret them.  Freeform replies are fine.)

In addition to the above, please comment on whether you think SmartList
is worth pursuing (if you have an opinion).

I'll summarize (and act on) the results after next Friday, Oct. 16.