Re: aol spam - forgeries?

1999-02-21 17:58:53
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 10:41 1999-02-20 -0800, Jerry Preeper wrote:

kind of recipe I might add to stop this junk.  I know I can keep adding
info from the body of the message but it keeps seeming to change.

If you can help it, avoid needing to filter on the body - constraining
yourself to the headers is much faster (at least, do those checks first).
Having a healthy collection of subject phrases used for spam is a good
generic check.

In this case, if generic spam filters aren't working, then a body filter
might be needed.  Becuase if you check the headers, you will find that
this aint forged.

How about the following for a basic filter:

:0:
* ^From:[       ](_dot_)*(_at_)aol\(_dot_)com
* !^(To|Cc):[   ]you
potential-spam

Assuming you do get a lot of mail from AOL.

Or a vigourous scoring filter applied to AOLers.  Since the few spams I've
sen from there still containt similar catchy phrases.  :-)

--
Have you noticed that all you need to grow healthy, vigorous grass is a
crack in your sidewalk?