Outgoint archive [was] Re: Delivered-To: [adding it]

1999-06-19 18:03:56
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)Mcs(_dot_)Net> writes:

Harry Putnam explained,

| I wanted an archive of my own outgoing e-mail messages. Nothing more
| nothing less.

Usually that is something done by the mail user agent (in Harry's case,
apparently some feature of Gnus), not by the mail transport agent nor the
mail delivery agent.

I could set Elm and mailx to save copies of all my outgoing mail that I
use them to dispatch.  Neither procmail nor sendmail would be
involved.

Any changes wrought by sendmail then, would not be present.

Yes, of course I have that capability with gnus.  Or most other mail
software.

None show how the mail looks after my local sendmail is done with it
and is therefor not all that useful in debugging mail problems, unless
the problem is in the mail reading software. My interest is in archiving
outgoing mail as it appears when leaving my machine but before my ISPs
SMTP machine gets in on the act.

It seems the -X sendmail flag would do this but it doesn't for me.  I
only see incoming data when using that flag, although the man page
clearly says it should log incoming and outgoing data.

 -X logfile  Log all traffic in and out of mailers in the in-
dicated log