Re: vacation response

2000-04-23 12:10:17
When I wrote,

So I guess that ^X-[^:]*-List: would be better.

Bruce Guenter commented,

| I think, to be completely accurate, that should be:
|       ^X-[^:  ]*-List:
| (the second whitespace is a tab)

In my original draft of the post Bruce was answering, that was what I had.
Then it occurred to me that the simpler expression [^:] would do; as long as
there was no colon since the start of the line, we'd still be in the name of
the field and not in the contents.  Space without colon, tab without colon,
or space and tab without colon couldn't assure that, but colon alone could.

When I said,

Yes, but ^X-.*-List:, which is what Bennett is using, would not.  Then again,
it would match

Dallman corrected,

= In the vein of the precision which I consistently lacked earlier (by
= failing to react to the colon in his recipe), I'll remark that yours
= wouldn't match the orginal either.  :-)  But this would:

=       X-Reminder: D-Man's Wish-List: Rewrite in Invisible Ink and Shred

True; thanks for catching that.

= Still like to know what was wrong with my final suggestion, if anything:

=       * ! ^(X?|Mailing)-?[a-z-]*List[a-z:-]+

= Although it would match somewhat more than was stated in the interest
= of the single line, I don't find it overly course, especially when
= compared with the couple of .* phrases that the originals had.

I didn't comment on that because I couldn't concentrate enough to reach an
opinion on it when you first presented it.  I still can't.

Stan Ryckman wrote,

: However, today, I know of no mail client that enables 3-way (or larger)
: conversations by maintaining all of the To: entries in the outgoing To:
: header of replies.  The "reply-to-all" or equivalent functions that I know of
: all put one address in the To: header and everything else into Cc:.  Perhaps
: you know of one that operates differently?

I know of no mail client that forces the user to accept the default reply
addressing and makes it impossible to correct it when the client guesses
wrong.  It's completely under the sender's control who goes into To: and
who goes into Cc:.

It's the fourth day of Passover, so I got to go whip me up a big batch of
chadash.  Back in eighteen minutes ...