Re: vacation response

2000-04-22 22:46:23
Dallman suggested,

| Well, in that vein, couldn't X-.*-List also not match this?

Yes, but ^X-.*-List:, which is what Bennett is using, would not.  Then again,
it would match

So I guess that ^X-[^:]*-List: would be better.

| Also, I must confess that it has never occurred to me that someone
| sending me a cc. wouldn't expect to be sent a vacation message.
| Is that really such a hard-and-fast rule?  If I cc. someone who has a
| vacation message, *I* would prefer to get the message.

If it is important to know whether a recipient is present to read a message,
it should be sent To: him/her.  Cc: is intended for FYI'ing people who are
ancillary to the exchange, to whom the text is not directly addressed.