Re: BCC

2000-10-06 19:04:21
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Summerfield" <summer(_at_)OS2(_dot_)ami(_dot_)com(_dot_)au>
To: <procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: BCC

From: "Jason Cox" <jasonc(_at_)webpipe(_dot_)net>
To: <procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 12:46 AM

That really stinks then. I've noticed that neither Imail, Hotmail,
AOL, nor YahooMail add the headers necessary for procmail to process
BCCs. That's a rather large chunk of the Internet Mail population.
Anyone know of another work-around other than just not using
procmail?

Jason

Jason, I think you are going about this the wrong way. The BCC header
was supposed to be "blind"--it would only stink if it were visible
after all. :) Typically, your MTA will receive the BCC header, of
course, but subsequently

No it won't. The information is removed by the SENDING MTA; otherwise
someone could patch the receiving MTA to not delete them and so get the
info after all.

When I said "your MTA will receive the BCC header," I meant, naturally, that
the sending MTA will receive the BCC header for sending. That is, for
instance, when I press my "send" button in Outlook Express, the sending MTA
that I connect to, will receive the header, and remove it before sending the
message.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---