Re: BCC

2000-10-06 07:00:56
I understand that.  But let's look at the following situation.  I have an
email that I'm sending to joeblow(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com and I want to send a
bcc to
bob(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)com(_dot_)  Now somedomain.com uses procmail to
forward email.
Below would be an example of the RC file for procmail:

#Forward Bob's email
:0
* ^TO_bob(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)com
! bob(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com

#Defalt Delivery to Joey
:0
! joey(_at_)aol(_dot_)com

Now assuming the above mentioned situation, that email would get sent to
joeblow(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com and theoretically, according to the procmail man
pages, to
bob(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com(_dot_)  However, I have yet to get it to work like
that.  I would
always go to joey(_at_)aol(_dot_)com, the "catch-all" address.  The verbose
log would
say:

Mail, whether electronic or otherwise, has an envelope and a content.

I can send you a letter; your address has to be on the envelope so it can be
delivered.

There's no need at all for it to be on the inside, even though convention has
it that we usually do put it there.

Just for the hell of it, I'm sending Jason a bcc of this. If it gets to sit in
his sendmail queue, he can inspect the q* and d* files and learn; the q* file
has the envelope info (and some other stuff) and the d* file has the content,
most of which is what his MTA (and procmail) sees.

He can also inspect the delivered mail with less or more or a text editor ans
see what's in it that procmail (or s script) has to work on.