RE: BCC

2000-10-05 02:26:25
I see.  I'm running sendmail.  How would I configure sendmail to include the
envelope info.  I'm sorry, I'm not very good with Sendmail right now.

Jason

At 16:46 2000-10-04 -0600, Jason Cox wrote:
That really stinks then.  I've noticed that neither Imail, Hotmail, AOL,
nor
YahooMail add the headers necessary for procmail to process BCCs.  That's a
rather large chunk of the Internet Mail population.  Anyone know of another
work-around other than just not using procmail?

Let me try that again.  *YOUR* MTA (that is, the "sendmail", "qmail" or
whatever app running on the mail server where procmail is being run) needs
to be adding this header.  NOT the sender's MTA.

This CAN be done, it's just a config issue at the mail administrator's
level, not a user's level.

If your MTA doesn't add headers for mail which is being delivered for a BCC
(such as an X-Envelope-To header), you're generally going to be out of
luck.  It certainly isn't procmail's fault -- if the info isn't part of the
message, you'll be hard pressed to determine it with any other tool you
might try to use.

Perhaps you should go to square one and review your message headers looking
for where _YOUR ADDRESS_ appears in them.  Sometimes (if only ONE alias
within your virtual domain, etc receives the message), the Received: lines
will contain your address:

My procmail messages include:

Received line has contained such references from even before when I
configured sendmail to include the envelope information.

Occasionally, I'll get a message that doesn't include this information, and
invariably, those turn out to be spam messages.

Site Design, Hosting, and E-Commerce at www.webpipe.net