Re: BCC

2000-10-05 02:26:33
From: "Jason Cox" <jasonc(_at_)webpipe(_dot_)net>
To: <procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 12:46 AM
Subject: RE: BCC

That really stinks then. I've noticed that neither Imail, Hotmail,
AOL, nor YahooMail add the headers necessary for procmail to
process BCCs. That's a rather large chunk of the Internet Mail
population. Anyone know of another work-around other than just not
using procmail?

Jason

Jason, I think you are going about this the wrong way. The BCC header was
supposed to be "blind"--it would only stink if it were visible after all. :)
Typically, your MTA will receive the BCC header, of course, but subsequently
delete it upon delivery, as well it should.

If you send a message to yourself, and BCC to yourself as well, a deeper,
underlying "problem" occurs, which is that sendmail recognizes that the two
destination addresses are the same final addresses, and sendmail eliminates
duplicate recipients. Which means your BCC gets "lost" on MTA level already,
prior to procmail even dealing with it. And I say "problem" and "lost"
between quotation marks, because this is a documented, and correct sendmail
behavior.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---