Re: BCC

2000-10-06 07:58:59
On Friday, 06.10.2000 at 01:47 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

That really stinks then. I've noticed that neither Imail, Hotmail,
AOL, nor YahooMail add the headers necessary for procmail to
process BCCs. That's a rather large chunk of the Internet Mail
population. Anyone know of another work-around other than just not
using procmail?

Jason

Jason, I think you are going about this the wrong way. The BCC
header was supposed to be "blind"--it would only stink if it were
visible after all. :) Typically, your MTA will receive the BCC
header, of course, but subsequently

No it won't. The information is removed by  the SENDING MTA; otherwise
someone could patch the receiving MTA to not delete them and so get
the info after all.

But surely the sending MTA cannot remove information that is necessary
to actually transmit the message?  That information (i.e. the BCC
recipient) must be present in the message while it's in transit,
otherwise the message is undeliverable, yes?

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
ewart(_at_)icrf(_dot_)icnet(_dot_)uk