Re: BCC

2000-10-06 08:06:40

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:51:51 +0100
From: Dave Ewart <ewart(_at_)icrf(_dot_)icnet(_dot_)uk>

But surely the sending MTA cannot remove information that is necessary
to actually transmit the message?  That information (i.e. the BCC
recipient) must be present in the message while it's in transit,
otherwise the message is undeliverable, yes?

Nope.  That info is carried in the envelope, not in the message.
That's why we're all saying that the receiving MTA must be told
to write envelope info into the header where procmail can find it.

Of course, there can be multiple receiving MTAs in the path so one
MTA can overwrite the header placed by a previous MTA.  That's why
many of us configure our MTAs to put this info in the Received
headers.