Re: BCC

2000-10-05 02:26:29
At 7:49 PM -0400 10/4/00, Mark is rumored to have typed:

Typically, your MTA will receive the BCC header, of course, but subsequently
delete it upon delivery, as well it should.

   Er...I am _not_ a mail guru by any strech of the imagination, but I'm
always interested in learning, so I'd appreciate a little more information on
this admittedly off-topic side-thread. Lemme see if I have the order of
things generally correct in my head...

   The client sending the message adds a Bcc: header field to the outgoing
mail. When the sender's transport agent (let's assume sendmail) receives the
message, it strips the Bcc: header field from the mail, sending the target
address out-of-band in the envelope; at this point, I've seen some
configurations add an Apparently-To: header for each Bcc address, but that's
just the, "exception that proves the rule." Anyway, when he receiver's agent
grabs the mail, it uses the envelope information to determine to whom the
mail gets delivered, possibly adding a "Received:.*for <address>" but usually
not.

   The information is now available out-of-band (has to be, since the mail
has to get delivered); so assuming procmail is the delivery agent, isn't
there a reasonably simple method of procmail grabbing that out-of-band
address from sendmail thorugh a variable, should one desperately need it for
some inexplicable reason or another? It would require an additional check on
the variable (just checking TO wouldn't cut it), but wouldn't something like
that solve Mr. Cox's problem?

         Charlie