Re: Procmailrc Configuration

2001-01-18 15:51:37
At 19:57 2001-01-18 +0000, Richard wrote:

My workstation is SuSE Linux 7.0.  I do understand that I will need to
use fetchmail to get mail in the first place.

If you're using fetchmail, then you're not _forwarding_ the messages, you're _retrieving_ them, since fetchmail would be running on your workstation.

Fetchmail must be invoked on intervals (say, by cron), whereas sendmail is invoked by the SMTP agent (either directly, or via a command in the .forward file) when each individual message is received.

You still haven't indicated whether your workstation is a static host or not. If it isn't, then you're looking at the wrong tool for moving the messages from your ISP server - procmail can neither FETCH messages, nor can it send messages to a host which cannot be resolved.

It's just a simple basic ruleset for forwarding to my
workstation with procmail that I don't understand.

1. shell into your isp "gateway" server.

3. type:
        echo address(_at_)yourworkstationhost(_dot_)tld > ~/.forward

3. type:
        chmod 644 ~/.forward

Now your ISP should *FORWARD* to your workstation. Note that the above does not involve procmail at all, because it is unnecessary for this simply operation.

The above assumes that your workstation is in fact a static host. If not, then you CANNOT *FORWARD* mail, and procmail on your "gateway" host won't do you any good (short of pre-filtering messages, and that's not what you've asked for).

I look forward to being able to write recipes for autoreplies and dropping spam into a large black hole from where it never returns :))

Which you plan to do on your ISP server, or on your workstation? Please be clear.

I've read man procmail, procmailrc, procmailsc, procmailex.  Not much
of it makes much sense without some useful help from an experienced
user.

Please re-read previous message, and clearly define your host arrangement.

I'm sure that procmail is much easier to configure.

There's not a whole lot of "configuration" necessary for procmail - what there is is the specific scripts people use with their procmail.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395