Re: Procmailrc Configuration

2001-01-18 19:35:01
At 14:34 2001-01-18 -0800, Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

> If you're using fetchmail, then you're not _forwarding_ the messages,
> you're _retrieving_ them, since fetchmail would be running on your workstation.

you can run procmail as LDA right from the fetchmail and then you can
forward, filter and do any other things with your messages.

Uh, one would do this from the workstation which already fetched the messages, AT WHICH TIME, THE MESSAGES ARE ON THE WORKSTATION, which appeared to be what the request was: how to 'forward' messages from the gateway to the workstation. Nothing was asked of doing anything with the messages other than getting them to the individual workstation. No indication of whether the mail for multiple virtual users was being downloaded and needed to be distributed to individual users, or anything like that. Pretty much just 'how to forward them from the gateway to the workstation'.

Then you don't have to login to your ISP's POP server (many won't allow you
to do this at all) or ask them to forward your mail to your host (what if
you have dynamic IP ?).

In which case _forwarding_ the email message isn't an option, and AS I ALREADY INDICATED (twice, including the message you're replying to), there would be issues with trying to _forward_ to a host not at a static location.

this won't work with many ISP's and corporate setups.

Specifics were not forthcoming if you'll note. I had to run with what there was -- from the sounds of it, the implication was that procmail could be run on the gateway host (which, up until his most recent post, I had errantly assumed was his ISP), and if he was planning on _forwarding_ messages from there, then he had probably already been shelled into it at some point (for that matter, to know that procmail was available).

.fetchmailrc:
poll <your_pop_server> protocol <APOP|POP3|whatever>:
  no rewrite mda "/usr/local/bin/formail -s /usr/local/bin/procmail -Yf -";

There appears to be a miscommunication of what "forward" means, and precisely what this user was asking. IMO, forwarding doesn't mean fetching a message -- it means forwarding it from where it was received (which until explained otherwise, is the ISP server at a static address where mail initially arrives for the user).

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395