Re: efficiency and LINEBUF

2001-03-30 13:57:38
Timothy followed up in discussion of this code,

| > | * $   ^To:.*$ME
| > | * $ ! ^From:.*$ME
| > | * ?    test -f $CELL_FORWARD
| > | * ?    fgrep -is "$REPLYTO" $CELLWHITELIST

| If the address isn't found in the CELLWHITELIST then it doesn't matter if
| it is To: me or not

Yes, but running an outside program is a lot of cycles, so you also want to
use the lighter-duty eliminations first.

| which is more efficient:
| 1) Calling an external program (test/fgrep) or
| 2) expanding a variable ($ME)

Expanding a variable --- especially since there also are variable expansions
needed to run your outside programs.

| I would also assume that the ^To: and ^From: lines are about equally
| "weighty" but assuming that I get more email from others To: me rather than
| messages I send myself, it would make more sense to have the ^To: first.

Let me think ... there are more messages that would fail ^To: (because they
are carboned or blind-carboned) than would fail !^From: (because most of your
mail is not from you), so yes, put ^To: first.  That one's a little hard to
think through because one condition is negated.