Re: forcing Maildir

2001-09-27 23:20:22
Shanker Balan <shanu(_at_)exocore(_dot_)com> writes:
dwen wrote,
below wont deliver in Maildir format ..right ??!!
i tried procmail to use  #define MAILSPOOLHOME "/.mail"

On my box, i prefer to use maildirs instead of the normal UNIX mail
spool. The only change i had to do to my .procmailrc is to suffix all my
mailboxes with a "/". That's it, no recompiling of procmail was
involved.

That changes where procmail will, by default, deliver messages which are
processed by your .procmailrc file.  That's adequate for individual users
who choose to use a mailspool other than the system default.  However,
if the administrator wants to change the system default then they should
change the #defines and recompile procmail.  Why?  Changing the compiled
in default from /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME to $HOME/.mail/ will correct
certain 'anomalies':

a) Procmail will no longer try to create /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME as a
   zero-length file.
b) Procmail _will_ check the permissions and ownership of $HOME/.mail/
   and its new, tmp, and cur subdirectories, fixing them as needed.
c) DEFAULT will have the correct value during the processing of
   /etc/procmailrc and/or when the user specifies a different rcfile.

Philip Guenther