Re: Delete a specific EXE

2001-12-04 02:19:44
At 10:09 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, Charlie Summers wrote:
At 5:02 AM -0500 12/3/01, Robin Edgar, Tripany is rumored to have typed:

> it seems to me you'd be getting more work done if you
> just helped the guy instead of writing long soliloquies like the one below.

   I did try to help him...he just didn't want to learn, he wanted someone
else to do all of the work for him. And you're right about one thing...I'd
get a lot more work done if I didn't waste time trying to teach people who
don't want to learn.

         Charlie (who wishes people would learn how not to top-post...)

Robin,

This is what I meant by meeting with arrogance on that list, and why I unsubscribed from it.

Charlie thinks I didn't want to learn, so Charlie must be right. At least in his mind. In reality though, Charlie couldn't be more wrong.

My first concern was to protect my customers from known viruses that come in and attack them through Outlook and Outlook Express. I live in a very rural area where many of my users have difficulty with even operating a mouse. Many are elderly and don't understand the concept of Microsoft programs being wide open doors for trojans, viruses, and the like. I get several calls a week from people who get infected, and end up spending hours walking them through regedit and trying to help them clean their computers since many of them cannot afford to take them to to repair shop, and some who physically can't take them to a repair shop because they are too elderly to be able to drive, or to lug around a computer. I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to explain to them how mcafee and nortons works, the importance of updated signature files, etc. All of this I do at no charge to them. But I realized it's a futile battle. So I wanted to try to find a way that I might be able to strip off attachments that are known to be a virus based on the name of the attachment. But I don't want to send a legitimate email to bit heaven just because it might contain the name of an attachment as part of the text of the email, but not actually have an infected attachment along with the email. The man pages are a joke for someone who is new to procmail. The problem I found (and witnessed over and over again, not just directed at me) with many of the people on the procmail mailing list is that they forget what it's like to not have years of experience working with it, and also that many of them are so full of themselves that rather than help a newbie, they'd rather spend 20 minutes going into a condescending dissertation attempting to show how smart they are, how stupid I am (and others are) for asking questions. Time and again I have seen responses from people on that list, because someone didn't ask the question the right way or quote man pages, automatically assume the person asking for help didn't read or try to understand the man pages or look for help first on the Internet. What I have found about that procmail list is that unless you have a pretty good understanding about how procmail works and already know how to write recipes, most of these guys would rather not waste their time with helping you. But most of them have no problems with spending the time to rip you up for having the audacity to ask for help on a procmail help list that allegedly is there to for help.

Prior to posting my question I did search yahoo, google, etc, and looked at the man pages. I didn't understand them, and made the mistake of asking for help from the likes of that list. In fairness, there were a few people like yourself who were kind, courteous, and understanding, and tried to help. To all of them I am grateful. There were many more though who had to get out their flame pen and see how pretentious they could be, and who's idea of helping someone is to tell them to rtfm. I have since subscribed to a different list that is not full of these types of people. I suppose that's a good thing and that I should count my blessings, as it's best to leave them all among themselves so they can be happy with each other and revel in their own glory and greatness.

Thank you again Robin for your help.

Sam