Re: mailbounce tool

2001-12-12 20:03:06
Bill Carpenter asked,

| BTW, does anyone else do this trick?  Not as flexible, but a lot
| simpler ...
|
| When I want to bounce a message for <jdoe(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)>, I
simply forward it to
| <jdoe(_at_)EXAMPLE(_dot_)COM> (literally "example.com").  Since DNS
intentionally
| has neither an A nor an MX record for EXAMPLE.COM, my local
| immediately MTA bounces it back as undeliverable.  The text of the
| bounce-o-gram varies depending on how I do this (sometimes it says the
| original address failed, sometimes it says "jdoe(_at_)example(_dot_)com"
failed),
| but it's a legit MTA-produced bounce in any case.

One part of the problem: you have to forward it in such a way that the
envelope-sender address remains unchanged and is not repointed to you as the
forwarder (as it usually should be for most forwarding).

Another part of the problem: as you acknowledged, sometimes it will say that
jdoe(_at_)example(_dot_)com is the unreachable address (most of the time, I
should
think), giving the original sender basically no information about which
address really bounced and shouldn't be used any more.  I guess you could
bounce to jdoe%real(_dot_)site(_at_)example(_dot_)com or
jdoe=real(_dot_)site(_at_)example(_dot_)com, so maybe
that's no problem at all.

There was a third part I had in  mind, but it's fallen out of my head.
Darn.