Re: [announce] mailbounce tool

2001-12-12 21:26:21
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:17:36PM -0800, WJCarpenter wrote:
When I want to bounce a message for <jdoe(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)>, I
simply forward it to
<jdoe(_at_)EXAMPLE(_dot_)COM> (literally "example.com").  Since DNS
intentionally
has neither an A nor an MX record for EXAMPLE.COM, my local
immediately MTA bounces it back as undeliverable.  The text of the
bounce-o-gram varies depending on how I do this (sometimes it says the
original address failed, sometimes it says "jdoe(_at_)example(_dot_)com"
failed),
but it's a legit MTA-produced bounce in any case.

This is kind of outside the scope of the procmail list, but...
This is something that usually has a better tool in the MTA. There are at
least two ways of handling this in Sendmail (I won't address other MTAs, as
I'm not familiar with them): FEATURE blacklist_recipients, and FEATURE
virtusertable. The former allows you to define local addresses, hostnames or
usernames that are blocked in the access database. With the later, you simply
define an alias in the virtusertable thus:

blocked(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld   error:nouser Some Text Here

Or any other valid SMTP error condition.
This, to my mind, is much more "correct" than the kludge defining an alias for
an address, that points to another non-deliverable address.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com

"If you're not pissed off at the world then you're just not paying attention."
                                Kasey Chambers "Ignorance"

"If you're not frightened by this, you're simply not paying attention."
                                Harry Browne