Re: Setup problem

2001-12-16 14:29:01
At 16:42 2001-12-16 +0000, Mark Lucas did say:
Hi. I just can't seem to get procmail to run!

I'm running Mandrake 8.0 on my server with Sendmail, Fetchmail, UW IMAP and
Procmail (v2.2.2).

Uh????

what do you get when you run:

        procmail -v | head -1

*THAT* would be a version number. The "2.2.2" you're citing for the procmail version is gibberish, and if it _were_ a valid version, it'd be from the early to mid 1990's.

I've checked the settings in Sendmail and it seems to be pointing to Procmail ok.

We must take your word on that, since you don't cite your Mlocal config.

If you have made changes to the sendmail.cf, have you _restarted_ sendmail to reflect those changes?

I've checked and re-checked my .procmailrc file and it all looks OK.

Again, we must take your word on that since you provide no evidence. Try renaming the .procmailrc entirely to remove it from the picture.

What does your /var/log/maillog or /var/log/messages say when you attempt delivery? A common mistake is a failure to set permissions correctly, and either sendmail or procmail (as LDA) should emit some message to that effect to the log.

I _just_ happen to be developing a script to assist with this diagnostic process. Perhaps you can fetch it from:

        <http://www.professional.org/procmail/procdiag.sh>

(Note that it executes procmail several times for version and configuration info, so if you do have a bad build of procmail, you'll need to resolve that before diagnosing basic config trouble)

Execute it, evaluate the results, then after assuring yourself that it isn't passing your root password or somesuch to the universe, post the results here.

If I type procmail on the command line then it just seems to hang.

        ls -al `which procmail`

What am I doing wrong?

We should start with what real version of procmail you're running. You might have a lousy build from Mandrake (sad but true - they've got problems in their distribution of the commercial packaged version). Have you considered downloading the procmail source (3.15 or 3.22), and building that?