Re: Setup problem

2001-12-18 14:50:25
At 09:07 2001-12-18 +0000, Mark Lucas wrote:

> Procmail isn't an MTA - you should leave account routing to the MTA.

Hmmm, I have aliases set up correctly and email is routed by sendmail
correctly if the domain is 'localhost' or equivalent. The problem is that
incoming mail from my isp has an external domain name

Either sendmail accepts the mail via (E)SMTP, and thus needs to know that it accepts mail for this "external domain name", or you're actually using something like FETCHMAIL (an entirely separate program from procmail) to retrieve the mail from a POP or IMAP mailbox and pass that to sendmail for delivery to a local user.

If the "external domain name" is really _your_ domain, just an external mail host for it, check class 'w' in your sendmail.cf: local-host-names. As I've pointed out to others on this list (which wouldn't be the right forum for it anyway), you can set YOUR mail host up to accept mail for your full domain (even if it isn't that _specific_host_) then have your ISP store and forward their mail - not via POP/IMAP, but via SMTP - you'd use fetchmail to send an ESMTP ETRN command to make the ISP mail server forward it's undelivered queue. This requires that you deal with getting your hostname to resolve, probably using a ddns service -- the main reason people futz with a fetchmail config for an entire host (versus just their own account) is because their server doesn't have a fulltime net connection. ETRN and ddns will get you around that.

route it to the correct user from its alias table (I think!!). Sorry if this
is off topic, I'll go find a sendmail list for this one.

That would be a good idea - you might take along the above mention of ETRN and get a sendmail group to go into more detail for you (or just find the info on the web).